Greek Orthodox Church

Greek Orthodox Church

The church, built between 1785 and 1806 in braid style, is the largest and most beautiful Orthodox church of Central Europe.

Hungary’s tallest, 16 metre high iconostasis can be seen here. The baroque altar-screen is the work of Miklós Jankovits, which depicts the life of Jesus on 88 images.
The church building was built on the plot bordered by the school and hospital of the Greek merchants’ society of Miskolc at that time between 1785 and 1790, supposedly according to the designs of János Adami, an architect of Eger of Italian origin.

The slim tower rises above the main façade of the one-naved church; its vestibule under the loft is somewhat wider than the nave, while the chancel is narrower with arched closing. The nave consisting of three vault sections is covered by Bohemian vaults.

In the tympanum shaped closures of the column framing of the west and south entrance a Greek cronosticon can be found. Both entrance doors are covered with forged iron work coupled with bands of leafage, originating presumably from the workshop of Henrik Fazola forged iron manufacturer in Diósgyőr.

The wooden works of the uniform furnishing adjusted to the inner architecture of the church were made by Miklós Jankovich, wood-carver of Eger, originating from Szerémség. On the balustrade of the loft supported by paired columns painted scenes of the life of Saint Naum are visible.

On the east pillars of the nave’s north wall we can see the pulpit with the image of Saint Matthew evangelist, with the emblem of the Byzantine Church and the coat of arms of Hungary. As next we can admire the icon „Our Lady of Ahtirka” presented by Czarina Catherine II together with silver votive presents. Oppositely in front of the south wall we can find the bishop’s throne.

The most beautiful art work of the church interior is the five-tiered, about 18 metre high iconostasis; its 84 images were made by Anton Kuchelmeister, Austrian painter, whereas its basic icons are works of an unknown depicter.

Three icon tables stand in the middle of the nave. On the right side we can see the icon „The birth of Christ” (Crete, 16th century). In the church garden nicely carved gravestones of the 18th and 19th centuries stand along the wall with Greek inscriptions.

Elérhetőség: 

Greek Orthodox Church

Telephone: 
(+36) 46/415-441
Location: 
Deák Ferenc tér 7.
Miskolc
Javascript is required to view this map.
Nyitva tartás:
  • Ápr. 30-okt. 31.: K-Szo 10.00-18.00
  • Nov. 1-márc. 31.: K-Szo 9.00-16.00

read more»: Greek Orthodox Church